Chief Guest/Keynote Speaker
Dr. S.S. Iyengar is a computer scientist of international repute who has been a pioneer in multiple fields. Marked by his incredible record of success in the areas of world-class research, superb teaching, and excellence in community service, he has also significantly impacted industry, through his many discoveries and patents. His distinguished international and national research work has consistently been recognized by US government agencies, industry pioneers, and distinguished researchers. His work has been featured on the cover of the National Science Foundation’s breakthrough technologies in 2014 and 2016.
Dr. Iyengar has garnered multiple awards for his work and made fundamental contributions in a variety of areas that has an impact on our lives today. His seminal contributions continue to be seen in places like Raytheon, Telcordia, Motorola the United States Navy, DARPA and other universities and research laboratories around the world.
- Co-invented the Cognitive Information Processing (CIM) Shell (2010), a complex event processing architecture and engine which recognizes in response to complex patterns in mission-critical, real-time applications. The CIM Shell fuses disparate data streams (text & video) to create interactive sensing-to-cognition, inspection/visualization systems providing real-time monitoring, analysis and online diagnosis of manufacturing, agricultural and oil production. CIM sends an alert, then reconfigures on-the-fly to isolate critical events and fixed failures, unlike IBM’s Watson which only identifies failures.
- Co-inventor of the Brooks-Iyengar Algorithm (1996) for noise tolerant distributed control which bridges the gap between sensor fusion and Byzantine fault tolerance providing an optimal solution to the fault event disambiguation in sensor networks. It provides a computationally inspired real-time fault-tolerant solution with applications in distributed control and software reliability.
- Optimal Sensor Placement Technique (2002) for selected locations to provide protection in real-time applications. The seminal work late and intellectual foundation for new design policies/techniques in surveillance and telecommunications.
Dr. Iyengar’s work has had a tremendous impact when applied to industries and real-world applications. In addition to the above areas, his foundational work continues to be implemented by government agencies and industry, including;
- Tactical Environmental Support System (3rd Generation—TESS(3)) Surveillance and Oceanographic Sensing (1992), an implementation of the oceanographic expert system by the Naval Research Laboratory Detachment at Stennis Space Center (NRL – SSC). This system has applications to predict oceanographic features which cannot be observed because of cloud cover in the analysis of satellite imagery.
- Sensor-Based Autonomous Mobile Robotics Dr. Iyengar’s extensive research in the fields of robotics, sensors, and artificial intelligence have continued from his early years at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and into his current work at Discovery Lab at Florida International University. His recent work is a urban surveillance telepresence robot for use by injured police officers, demonstrating robotic technology assisting the disabled to return to work.
- Computational Medicine, Founding Director of the Louisiana Biomedical Research Network, and development of autonomous intelligent systems for detecting radiation at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, as well as discoveries in radiotherapy treatment of lung tumors, and development of an intraocular glaucoma monitoring device.
Dr. Iyengar is a member of the European Academy of sciences, winner of the Lifetime Achievement Award from ISAM-IIT (BHU), and is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), a Fellow of the Association of Computing Machinery (ACM), a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and Fellow of the Society for Design and Process Science (SDPS). He was awarded the Satish Dhawan Chaired Professorship at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), then Roy Paul Daniels Professorship at LSU. He has received the Distinguished Alumnus Award of the Indian Institute of Science. In 1998, he was awarded the IEEE Computer Society’s Technical Achievement Award and is an IEEE Golden Core Member.
One of Dr. Iyengar’s project along with Dr. Phoha(LA Tech) and Dr. Kannan(LSU) entitled “Fast Web Page Allocation on a Server Using Self-Organizing Properties of Neural Networks” was selected in World’s Best Technology Showcase in the year 2007. This is a highly competitive summit and other competitors were Los Alamos Labs, Johns Hopkins University, EPA , NASA and many other.
Dr. K.Chidananda Gowda
Prof. K. Chidananda Gowda is the former Vice-Chancellor of the Kuvempu University, Karnataka. He is also the son-in-law of the Kannada playwright and first gnanapeetha awardee Kuvempu, after whom the Kuvempu University is named.
Prof. Chidananda Gowda was born in the village Chokkady, near Sullia on 15 June 1942. He completed his graduation in Engineering from the University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering at Bengaluru in 1964. He obtained a Master's degree in Engineering from the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda in 1969. He returned completed his PhD from the Indian Institute of Science in 1979. He is married to Tarini, second daughter of Kuvempu.
He also spent two years at NASA, United States and one year at INRIA, France for conducting post-doctoral research.
Prof. Chidananda Gowda joined Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering , Mysuru as a Professor in the Computer science department and later went on to head the department. He also served as the Vice Principal of the College for about 5 years and later as the Principal for about 1.5 years.
He was also a visiting professor at INRIA. He was appointed as the Vice-Chancellor of the Kuvempu University of 18 January 2002, and served for 4 years. He has chaired technical conferences at Zurich, Paris, Tokyo and Luxembourg. He is currently a Distinguished Professor of Computer Science at the International School of Information Management, University of Mysuru, Karnataka. He is also referred as “Father of Symbolic Data Analysis” in the English speaking world.
Prof. Chidananda Gowda was awarded the Kannada Sahitya Akademi award for his book, Putaanigala Vignyana Padyagalu in 1986. He is also recipient of M. Visveswaraya Technical Award ( 1995) for his contributions to engineering
Plenary Session Speakers
Dr. Subhas Kulkarni completed his B.E (E&CE), from PDA College of Engineering, Gulbarga in 1988 and M.Tech in Electronic Design & Technology from CEDT IISc Bangalore, in 1995. He has received his Ph.D from Dept of E&ECE, IIT Kharagpur in 2002. He is a Fellow of Institute of Engineers and Institute of Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering.
He has more than 25 Years of academic teaching experience including 14 years of research experience and 8 years of administrative experience. He is presently the Head of the E&CE Department at PES Institute of Technology (Bangalore South Campus).
His research interests are in Math Models in Image Processing, High Speed Computational Vedic Architectures, Control Systems and Deformable models for Image Analysis H-Infinity Control. He has published 72 papers in International Journals and 35 papers in National and International Conferences.
Under his guidance, 6 Scholars have been awarded PhD Degree and currently 5 are pursuing Research. He has delivered 1 week Special Lectures on Math Models in Signal and Image Processing at BEC, Bagalkot in 2006. He has been a Resource person in more than 25 Workshops/Conferences for delivering invited sessions. He has conducted Tutorial on Level Sets for Image Analysis at 1 st International Conference on Signal & Image Processing at Hubli in 2006.
Dr. D S Guru, Mysore University.
He is Currently Professor & Chairman, Dept of Studies in Computer Science, University of Mysore.
- Sc – 1991, M.Sc – 1993, from University of Mysore and holds rank positions at both levels.
- D – 2000 from University of Mysore.
- Post Doctoral work at PRIP lab, Michigan State University, USA.
- Fellow of BOYSCAST, Dept of Science and Technology, Gout of India for the year 2005.
- Recipient of first ARP award under Engineering Sciences, VGST, Dept of Science and
- Technology, Gout of Karnataka for the year 2010.
- Recognized as “Best Ethical Teacher at Higher education” By Rotary Mysore for the year 2011.
- Guided Successfully 15 and currently supervising 5 Ph.D students.
- Published 80+ journal and 250+ conference papers.
- Have been a reviewer for many journals including IEEE Transactions and Elsevier Science.
- Edited 2 books, two issues of international journal of Machine Intelligence and authored a text book.
- Currently, Professor of Computer Science and Nodal Officer of CBCS Education University of Mysore and the Chairman , Board of Studies in Computer Science.
- Served the University of Mysore and several other universities at various capacities.
Abroad Visit and delivered lectures: USA, China, Russia and France.
Founder trustee of Maharaja Education Trust(R), Mysore, established various institutions in and
around Mysore including an Engg college, MIT Mysore.
Founder President of a SEVA SAMITHI at his village, organizing several personality development programs for school children and medical checkup camps for villagers and actively involved in cultural development programs.
He is from Devanur ,a remote Village in Najangud Taluk and son of a school teacher. He did his schooling in Kannada medium at Devanur. His hobbies include swimming and badminton.
Dr. Chandra Sekhar C
He is presently working as Professor in the Department of CSE at IIT, Madras.
His Research Interests
- Content based Information Retrieval
- Kernel Methods
- Pattern Recognition
- Artificial Neural Networks
- Speech processing
- Handwritten Character Recognition
He has been awarded the "Srimathi Marti Annapurna Gurunath Award for Excellence in Teaching" on 57 th Institute Day.
Dr. H. S. Guru Prasad
Dr. H.S. Guruprasad is presently the Professor in Information Science and Engineering department of BMSCE, Bengaluru. He has 23 years of teaching experience. He has published 11 international and 11 national conference papers. His field of expertise is Networks & Communications, Cloud Computing, Algorithms.
He is presently guiding 5 Ph.D candidates and has guided around 110 projects at Master level. He is the member of “BITES, CSI” professional bodies. He has actively involved with many professional colleges as BoS member, BoE member etc and has delivered Guest lectures at many institutions. He has been awarded with Rastriya Gaurav Award – 2012.
Mr. Ajey Phatak
Mr. Ajey Phatak is currently working as Manager -Marketing & Sales at Beckhoff Automation, Beckhoff Automation Pvt Ltd ,Pune Area, India
He is a Post Graduate in Electronics from Pune University & Management Graduate having 22 Years in field of Technology Marketing & Concept Selling, International Sales in the field of Electrical Motor protection, Power T & D, Industrial Electronics & Automation in India & South East Asian region.
He has actively engaged with Beckhoff in PC based Automation technology promotion in India for past 8years. He has volunteered in social organization like Jnana Prabodhini, Pune and others during academic years. He is also the member of Management Associations.
Dr. B.H. Shekar
He is currently working as the Professor in Mangalore University. He is the master graduate of science and has received Ph.D for the research in the field of Pattern Recognition, Image Processing, Database Systems, Algorithms. Two research scholars have received Ph.D under his guidance and eight students are presently working under his guidance.
- He is the recipient of DST-DAAD Fellowship during 2002 under DAAD-SANDWICH MODEL
- He was the Principal Investigator of DST-RFBR sponsored International Collaborative Research Project with Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia for ‘Spatial Modelling of Human Faces for Real time Analysis and Classification’ during 2009-11.
- He was the Principal Investigator of UGC sponsored Major Research Project on ‘Video Analysis and Understanding’, 2009-12.
- He was the Principal Investigator of DST-RFBR sponsored International Collaborative Research Project with Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia for 'Mathematical Models and Morphological Analysis based Algorithms for image comparison and classification in computer vision systems' during 2012-14.
- He was the Principal Coordinator of DST-RFBR sponsored International Collaborative Workshop on 'Emerging Applications of Computer Vision' at Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia during Nov. 2011.
- He has the membership of various organizations and Associations like, Indian Unit for Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, International Association for Pattern Recognition, International Association of Computer Science and Information Technology, International Association of Computer Science And Information Technology.
- He has published around 86 papers in Journals/International conferences and around 36 papers in conferences.
Dr. Ashok Rao
Dr. Ashok Rao holds a BE, ME & PhD all in EE from Mysore University (1982), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (1985) and Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (1991) respectively.
He specializes in Digital Signal Processing area and is known to be one of the leading figures in this area in India. In addition, he teaches Image Processing, Multimedia, Linear Algebra, Renewable Energy, BioMetrics and ICT. He has over 25 years of Teaching & Research Experience which Includes 6 years in IIT Bombay and 7 years in IISc Bangalore, the rest in various places in India. He has successfully guided PhD’s both in E & C and Computer Science areas and has over 80 publications.
He is also a Solar Photo Voltaic (SPV) specialist having been trained by Siemens Solar California during 1996-1997. Earlier he was Head, Network Project at CEDT, IISc Bangalore from 1999-2005. It was a project funded by Swiss Government and covered E & C Engineering education in the whole of South India, this is among the very few successful higher education projects in India.
From 1999, he has been a Training consultant on Design of DSP & Multimedia systems to Philips, NXP, Techtronic’s, Honeywell, Toshiba, SONY, Infineon, Texas Instruments, Analog Devices, etc. He has been awarded Texas Instruments (TI) International DSP Design & Education Award for promoting Excellence in Under Graduate DSP education in India during 1996-98. He is also an Entrepreneur having successfully started several ICT & Renewable Energy companies during 1998 to 2009. He is one of the very few to be invited to make a presentation in a PAN-IIT-2006 global meet.
He has been a Guest professor at IIM Bangalore from 2007 teaching PGPP and PGSEM programs and executive MBA programs there.
Dr. Raghunath has over 20 years of teaching experience. He obtained his PhD from the department of ECE, IISc in 2009. His research interests include wireless communication and low power design.
Dr. Raghunath has been motivating students and preparing them for the GATE exam since 1996. He has been producing record results in GATE every year. As the HOD of the ECE department in PESIT, Bangalore, he conducted FREE classes for GATE-2011 for the students of the department. A record 57 students qualified that year. He founded RLC in 2012. His students have topped Karnataka in EC in GATE-2013 and GATE-2014. He is presently the Director (Academics) at RLC Solutions.
Prof. Sanjeev Kubakaddi
Sanjeev is a successful entrepreneur representing the aspirations of a new emerging and challenging India. Frontiers do not daunt this new breed of entrepreneurs; they appear to them as invitations for a newer ascent, a more arduous climb, a mightier push. These invitations appear to them as rewards themselves. Sanjeev comes from a humble background, born and brought up in a village in Northern Karnataka. He is constantly aware of the work that needs to be done to bring prosperity to villages such as his and this helps keep his feet firmly on the ground while the mind goes on to conquer newer zeniths. His hard work has been recognized by the Economic Development Forum, New Delhi and it has awarded him the Rashtriya Udyog Ratan award in the year 2012. He is also the recipient of Mother Theresa Excellence Award 2013 presented by Integrated Council for Socio-Economic Progress. Sanjeev’s biography is included in Marquis Who’s Who in the World 2014 (31st Edition)
In the course of more than 14 years in Industry and Academia, brought to his sharp focus, the need to bridge the wide gap between Industry expectations and Academics. ITIE Knowledge Solutions was conceived with the aim of bridging the gap. It has been serving the cause of both Industry and Academia since 2006, in that, more than five thousand students; faculty and professionals from 14 countries have been trained on various domains & tools. The Biomedical Data Acquisition System iMedilogger is a multichannel multi-parameter data acquisition system developed by itie and it has found wide acceptance in research and development organizations and academia. It has kept excellent relations with its clientele which include among others: TATA Steel, Infosys Technologies, General Motors, Goodrich Aerospace India, HCL, PT Len Industri (Indonesia), Squarehoop (UK).
Sanjeev has been active in the Industry and Academia and has always strived to be in the forefront. As the founder of itie Knowledge Solutions, he has been successful in making the company a trusted name in academia and industry for training and solutions in Biomedical Signal Processing, Medical Image processing, Digital Signal Processing, Control System Modelling for Automotive and Aerospace using popular tools like MATLAB®, SIMULINK®, LabVIEW™ and Texas Instruments DSPs. He is on the governing councils of many academic institutions. He is a nominated Academic Council member of the Bangalore University.
In the past, he has worked in reputed organizations namely Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi, Symphony Services & Novatium Solutions and contributed significantly.
Sanjeev holds an M. Tech degree from Vishveshvaraiah Technological University, Karnataka in which he had secured the 3rd Rank. He is an active member of IEEE and many other professional organizations and groups and has authored many international peer-reviewed papers and given presentations in various conferences of repute. Sanjeev is renowned trainer in the area of Digital Signal Processing (DSP), Image Processing, Biomedical and Control System.